[SURBL-Discuss] browser plugin?

Jeff Chan jeffc at surbl.org
Mon Feb 13 23:16:49 CET 2006

On Monday, February 13, 2006, 1:45:13 PM, Michele Blacknight.ie wrote:
> Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com wrote:
>>
>> To warn the browser's user (me, ATM) that the site they are visiting is spamvertised and/or a reported phishing site.  Useful for those who do not have control over their mail server, especially
>> if they're using webmail.
>>
>> Also a proof-of-concept of the "right way" to implement a phishing blacklist -- without sacrificing user privacy.
>>

> Wanring an end user that the site is spamvertised may appeal to some
> people, but I can't really see much benefit to users in general.

Given that some spamvertised sites probably have virus and trojan
horse loaders, it could be useful.  Also many people would
probably prefer not to support spammers.

> As for phishing sites... That might be worth exploring, but is SURBL
> data the best way of handling this?

It's one way.  It may not be the best and it's certainly not the
only way.  OTOH DNSBLs already exist and are a somewhat
reasonable way to get data out.

Don't harm innocent bystanders.