[SURBL-Discuss] browser plugin?

Jeff Chan jeffc at surbl.org
Wed Feb 15 08:31:18 CET 2006

On Tuesday, February 14, 2006, 11:32:28 AM, mouss mouss wrote:
> Jeff Chan a écrit :

>>Given that some spamvertised sites probably have virus and trojan
>>horse loaders, it could be useful.  Also many people would
>>probably prefer not to support spammers.
>>

> another nice thing would be to have this for squid. I see something like
> "The page you are trying to visit is this and that. are you sure?" (with
> a link to still be able to visit the final site if the user feels safe:).

> anyone looked at this?

IIRC It's come up on this list before.

Joe wrote in September 2004:

> I've just adapted an old script I use with squid to remove
> unwanted ads to use surbl...
>
> This works as a redirector - this means, each time someone
> ask for an url matching surbl database, squid will redirect
> the query to a locally saved web page - e.g. a web page
> showing the site policy or a simple error message.
>
> For the while, this is a very draft script, but it works fine.
>
> I'll surely improve it and maybe write a C version which shall
> be much faster for huge domains.
>
> You can get it at :
>
>         http://j-chkmail.ensmp.fr/surbl/squid-surbl-it
>
> All feedback is welcome.
>
> Best
>
> Jose-Marcio

There have also been references to Squidguard:

  http://www.squidguard.org/

which may be a possible starting point.

I'd still be concerned about the impact of widespread proxy usage
on the queries into our nameservers.  Caching could help somewhat.

Taking a step back this is somewhat of a misuse of the tool
since SURBLs mainly have lists of domains advertised in spams,
and the intended use of the data is to identify future spams
based on that information.  So they're meant to identify spams,
not block access to web sites.

Don't harm innocent bystanders.