[SURBL-Discuss] multi.surbl.org doesnt resolve ??

surbl-discuss surbl-discuss at artsit.org.uk
Tue May 30 16:52:32 CEST 2006

Theo Van Dinter wrote:
> On Tue, May 30, 2006 at 03:02:20PM +0100, surbl-discuss wrote:
>
>> multi.surbl.org no longer resolves to an IP address - is it still the
>> preferred hostname to use?
>>

> Did it ever?  As long as you see the NS records you should be fine.
>
> $ dig multi.surbl.org ns +short
> i.surbl.org.
> j.surbl.org.
> k.surbl.org.
> l.surbl.org.
> m.surbl.org.
> n.surbl.org.
> a.surbl.org.
> b.surbl.org.
> c.surbl.org.
> d.surbl.org.
> e.surbl.org.
> f.surbl.org.
> g.surbl.org.
> h.surbl.org.
> $ dig multi.surbl.org +short
> $

Ah, ok, it did ping for a while Im sure.

I will give you a little background - about a week or so ago, mail
connections into our domain started to go through the roof - we were
having something like 800 open connections into us at anyone time,
normally we have less than 100.

Upon investigation, we found that if we disabled the spam rule that
checks multi.surbl.org, then connections went back to normal - so I then
tried to ping multu.surbl.org and when I couldnt ping it I put two and
two together and assumed it was down. When I couldnt ping it a week or
so later, I thought Id post and ask.

I guess the question I have is, was there an outage a week or so ago?

I think the best thing I do is to try to re-enable it at some point this
week and see how we get on now, but it would be nice to be able say for
sure what caused the problem

Many thanks for such a quick reply by the way.

All the best, Adrian