[SURBL-Discuss] Guestbook spam

Michael Renzmann mrenzmann at otaku42.de
Tue Nov 7 07:39:06 CET 2006

Hi.

Jeff Chan wrote:
> You could do this, but the set of guestbook spammers and mail
> spammers may not overlap too much.  Therefore we somewhat
> recommend against it.  (Remember that SURBLs are URIs advertised
> in email spams.)

I'm about to write a spam filter plugin for Trac [1] which makes use of
SURBLs. While Trac is no guestbook, trac-driven sites are hit by spam
posts which have, following to your comment, more in common with
guestbook spam than with email spam.

That makes me wonder:
a.) Is there a SURBL (outside of surbl.org) available already specially
for website spam?
b.) If not, would it be worthwile to extend the focus of surbl.org to
website spam?

The mentioned plugin will be one of several that users can enable. Each
plugin will modify the karma of a post (Wiki edit, new trouble ticket,
comment to existing trouble ticket, ...), and only if the karma is above
a user-defined threshold it will be accepted.

As the old version of Trac we use currently on madwifi.org does not
provide native support for spam filtering, I installed another solution
[2] based on mod_security to block spams. In order to adjust the filters
if needs be, I logged (and still log) all spam postings that hit our
site during the last 4 months (~38000 posts total). Is that interesting
for feeding the database of a specialized website spam SURBL?

Bye, Mike

[1] http://trac.edgewall.org
[2] http://madwifi.org/wiki/FightingTracSpam