***SPAM*** Re: [SURBL-Discuss] Re: Guestbook spam

Jeff Chan jeffc at surbl.org
Wed Nov 8 08:07:28 CET 2006

On Tuesday, November 7, 2006, 5:23:17 PM, Gerhard (rbl) wrote:
> just to demonstrate the power of this service a screenshot
> we are looking at a private Blackdomai list, surbl, uribl, unwanted
> email adr's, and a bunch of keyword/Phrases

> and a test-url :

> http://support.clean-mx.de//clean-mx/trackback.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmaps-driving-directions.ewach.info&author=maps%20driving%20directions&title=maps%20driving%20directions&blog_name=maps%20driving%20directions&e-mail=quincy%40freemail.com&excerpt=%3Ca%20href%3D%22http%3A%2F%2Fmaps-driving-directions.ewach.info%22%3Emaps%20driving%20directions%3C%2Fa%3E&action=add

> result:

> <response>
> <error>1</error>
> -
> <message>
> Blog-entry denied(surbl): Blocked, ewach.info on lists [jp][ob][ph],
> See: http://www.surbl.org/lists.html" see
> http://www.clean-mx.de/blogspam Query: 1.2413 Seconds
> </message>
[...]

It's an interesting and unexpected use of the data, and an
interesting solution to the problem of trackback-type spam and
abuse.  I'd be curious to hear how much of the abuse the various
lists catch.  In principle our spam-based data probably won't
catch all of the abusers.  We find that the abuse spaces are
usually somewhat different between the different media: mail,
blog, etc.

Also the same request goes for your application: please be sure
to *not* check the common whitehat domains like google, yahoo,
w3c.org, etc., as that could add many unnecessary DNS queries:

  http://www.surbl.org/faq.html#local-whitelist

Sample common domains to exclude from checking are linked above.

Cheers,

Don't harm innocent bystanders.