[SURBL-Discuss] Guestbook spam

Jeff Chan jeffc at surbl.org
Sat Nov 11 13:13:58 CET 2006

On Friday, November 10, 2006, 1:33:12 PM, Gerhard (rbl) wrote:
> i took your list and asked our own rbl server. results in short 789 out
> of 854 Domains of your list will be recognized by our service  clean-mx
> surbl 139/854
> uribl 66/854
[...]

> Web-Site-spamming either blogs guestbooks etc... has a different
> approach from the point of view of their originators.

> 1) it's tricky to tweak pages in the web for abuse
> 2) this is time consuming so only a few will do that in the "wild"
> 3) it's much more easier to mail all this stuff over a bot-net
> 4) the message of all these spammers is always the same... buy .... look
> at .. obey this finacial tip.... help me... and so on
> 5) they have to attract their readers to their message so they always
> must use the same sort of linguistic acrobatic tokens...

> at least the same set of keywords stopping mailspam is sufficient to
> detect and stop web-spam

In a general sense, yes.

> I totally agree that spamvertized domains in web-spam is a bit diffrent
> from mailspam but not much.

I think it has yet to be proven or disproven.  Perhaps a test you
could try is to see how well your web spam list detects mail
spam (checking message body URIs, naturlich).  If the
intersection is not very much then that may argue that web and
mail spam are different.

Don't harm innocent bystanders.