[SURBL-Discuss] Guestbook spam

Jeff Chan jeffc at surbl.org
Sat Nov 11 13:19:16 CET 2006

On Friday, November 10, 2006, 2:35:21 PM, Raymond Dijkxhoorn wrote:
> Its easy to block,
> its less easy to get a low FP rating.

> With blocking domains like demon.co.uk i would not like you to filter my
> mails of webforms. :) Same for deejay. it, one of the largest radio
> stations in Italy. Or what about Indiana University. Oh well.

Raymond makes a good point.  We spend a lot of effort preventing
FPs in the SURBL data.  It starts with making sure the basic
assumptions are correct on what to categorize as spam, then it
includes much processing for automatic checking, manual checking
and some whitelisting.  It's quite a difficult task to automate,
and it's quite difficult to get right.

We also set policies about what would be listed or not.  Those
policies help prevent some of the types of false positives
Raymond noticed.

Don't harm innocent bystanders.