[SURBL-Discuss] Why are subdomains not blacklisted?

Rob McEwen (PowerView Systems) rob at powerviewsystems.com
Fri Nov 24 00:40:35 CET 2006

Kelly,

There is a long (2-3 paragraph) answer for the general question "Why are subdomains not blacklisted?", but the short answer is that it is the responsibility of the program or spam filter making use of SURBL to remove the extra levels and check "kennevur.com" against SURBL instead of "uztiuqhcsgdnhsx.kennevur.com"

In this situation, a good filter will not bother checking the longer version but would know to extract just the domain name for checking.

Rob McEwen
PowerView Systems
rob at PowerViewSystems.com
(478) 475-9032