[SURBL-Discuss] When did a specific URL get into SURBL?

Kelly Jones kelly.terry.jones at gmail.com
Sat Aug 11 04:42:59 CEST 2007

How can I tell when a specific URL was entered into SURBL? Is there an
RSS news feed or DNS text record or something that tells this?

My scenario: my tech-savvy user gets an email advertising spammer.com
and says "I did 'host spammer.com.multi.surbl.org' and SURBL's
blocking this domain-- why did it get through?".

I want to answer (accurately) "spammer.com is in SURBL *now*, but it
wasn't when you received the mail-- spammer.com was entered into SURBL
at xxxx, while the email you forwarded came in earlier, at yyy".

Any way to do this? We seem to get a lot of spam that slips by SURBL,
but shows up in multi.surbl.org shortly thereafter (I realize that
someone has to receive the spam before a URL can added to SURBL...)

Another interesting use would be figuring out how long to quarantine
possible spam-- in most cases, holding suspicious emails for just 12
hours would vastly reduce the amount of spam we get.