[SURBL-Discuss] When did a specific URL get into SURBL?

Jeff Chan jeffc at surbl.org
Sat Aug 11 08:40:39 CEST 2007

Quoting Kelly Jones <kelly.terry.jones at gmail.com>:

> How can I tell when a specific URL was entered into SURBL? Is there an
> RSS news feed or DNS text record or something that tells this?

That information is not currently available publically.

> My scenario: my tech-savvy user gets an email advertising spammer.com
> and says "I did 'host spammer.com.multi.surbl.org' and SURBL's
> blocking this domain-- why did it get through?".
>
> I want to answer (accurately) "spammer.com is in SURBL *now*, but it
> wasn't when you received the mail-- spammer.com was entered into SURBL
> at xxxx, while the email you forwarded came in earlier, at yyy".
>
> Any way to do this? We seem to get a lot of spam that slips by SURBL,
> but shows up in multi.surbl.org shortly thereafter

We are pretty much always trying to speed up the listings.

> (I realize that
> someone has to receive the spam before a URL can added to SURBL...)

That assumption does not always apply.

> Another interesting use would be figuring out how long to quarantine
> possible spam-- in most cases, holding suspicious emails for just 12
> hours would vastly reduce the amount of spam we get.

Yes, a quarantine and later check may improve spam detection rates, at a
possible cost of some delayed messages.  It may be possible to only quarantine
messages that look suspicious in the first place.  If so the side effects may
be minimized.

Cheers,