[SURBL-Discuss] Why is multi's rsync file so large?

Jeff Chan jeffc at surbl.org
Thu Jan 11 06:14:01 CET 2007

On Wednesday, January 10, 2007, 12:57:35 PM, Rob Systems) wrote:
> Does
> rbldnsd take up more memory by including that comment as the
> equivalent of a "text record" for DNS lookups that might
> attempt such a
> lookup against rbldnsd?

> If so, I'm thinking that, as beneficial as this might be in
> some scenarios, it sure probably uses a whole lot of extra ram
> on the server hosting the rbldnsd, correct?

The multi.surbl.org rbldnsd zone file looks like this:

[...]
0-800horoscopes.com :127.0.0.68:Blocked, 0-800horoscopes.com on lists [jp][ws], See: http://www.surbl.org/lists.html
0-apr-card-credit-4u.info :127.0.0.68:Blocked, 0-apr-card-credit-4u.info on lists [jp][ws], See: http://www.surbl.org/lists.html
0-apr-credit-card-4u.info :127.0.0.68:Blocked, 0-apr-credit-card-4u.info on lists [jp][ws], See: http://www.surbl.org/lists.html
0-bww-marlin-debian-0.com :127.0.0.64:Blocked, 0-bww-marlin-debian-0.com on lists [jp], See: http://www.surbl.org/lists.html
[...]

If you don't need the text portion for example because you only
use the numerical results, you can save some memory by removing
the text field before you load the zone into rbldnsd.

Don't harm innocent bystanders.