[SURBL-Discuss] Joe Jobbed by a scammer and AbuseButler

Ron Guerin ron at vnetworx.net
Tue Aug 5 01:14:27 CEST 2008

I ironically now find tighturl.com listed in SURBL as the result
effectively being joe-jobbed by some sleazeball promoting a work from
home scam and using a tighturl link to a fake removal page, which was
blocked by me within the 45th access (and is now probably around 10,000
hits which redirect to a page explaining the inadvisibility of clicking
on links in spam or putting your email address into a spammer's removal
box).

AbuseButler has yet to respond to mail sent late Saturday night to
abuse at abusebutler.com about the matter, and they clearly are not
resolving URLs to their destination as I would have expected from a data
source used by SURBL.

Just what is the SURBL policy about listing URLs that have not been
resolved to their destination, and about the quality of the data
accepted into SURBL?  I find the lack of a response from AbuseButler to
its abuse address an indication that they're not running a responsible
or reliable service over there.

- Ron