[SURBL-Discuss] Re: URI BL responses, always loopback network?

Frank Ellermann nobody at xyzzy.claranet.de
Tue Aug 5 13:46:35 CEST 2008

Jeff Chan wrote:

> Draft documents notwithstanding, in actual practice most
> blacklists use only the fourth octet.  A few vary the
> second and third octets, but they are exceptional.

OPM was an exception, with a magic "1" as second octet.

I never found out if that is a "version number" for the
specification of the remaining 16 bits, just a trick to
avoid 127.0.0.0/31, or something else.

"Extend to 16 bits" is a straight forward idea, and one
Jeff Chan proposed it on this list some years ago... :-)

IIRC the "isipp" codes (mostly white lists) use rather
convoluted 127/8 meanings.

 Frank