[SURBL-Discuss] Re: URI BL responses, always loopback network?

Ron Guerin ron at vnetworx.net
Tue Jul 29 05:17:38 CEST 2008

Frank Ellermann wrote:
> Ron Guerin wrote:
>
>> what I wanted to know was if anyone knows of a BL or URI BL that
>> returns or plans on returning something other than a loopback
>> address as a positive response to a lookup?
>
> None I'm aware of, but you said 127.0.0.0 to 127.0.0.255.  It's
> in fact the complete 127/8 range 127.0.0.0 to 127.255.255.255.

I gathered that even though I'm unaware of anyone presently going beyond
0.0.255, that there was a good chance someone would eventually, which is
why I decided to check only for a value starting with the four
characters of 127.

> There is a draft to get this on "standards track", finally, see
> <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-irtf-asrg-dnsbl>

Oh, good! Thanks for the pointer.  And it's written by John Levine,
which I find reassuring.  It does appear that testing for "127." is
about the best I can do with this.

- Ron