[SURBL-Discuss] regarding SURBL Blacklist Removal Request

Catherine Jefferson ariel at spambouncer.org
Thu Nov 20 06:37:25 CET 2008

> We've submitted a removal request for our domain skyquestcom.com using
> LOOKUP page in surbl.com (filled in the complete form and the response page
> show "your request has been received")

> Yet our domain is still in the blacklist.

> May I know usually how long will it take for our domain to be removed from
> the list?

In this case, probably quite a while, and it is likely that the
removal request will be denied.  I am not SURBL, but you are on
two SURBL lists -- the Outblaze list and the William Stearns/
SpamAssassin list.  Your domain got onto those lists because:

1) You hit the spam metrics used by the listing engine at Outblaze,
   the world's largest outsourced email provider.

2) Your domain was actually seen in spam received by William Stearns
   or another anti-spammer that works with SURBL and does manual
   examination of spam samples.

In other words, outgoing email containing your URL convinced both
a good computer heuristic *and* at least one human being that it
was spam.  It further convinced the human being that your domain
was actually being advertised in the spam on purpose, and was not
the victim of an attempt to smear your company's reputation.  So
getting your domain delisted will probably require more than a
request; it may require convincing the SURBL maintainers that you
have stopped doing whatever it was that caused spam to be sent in
your company's name.

> Will there be any email notification?

There usually is when a decision is made.  If your email account
is spam filtered, however, you might not see the notification
because spam filters often use/reference SURBL.

> Thank you for your help.

I hope this was helpful.

--
Catherine Jefferson <ariel at spambouncer.org>