[SURBL-Discuss] Stats wanted

Ed Kasky ed at esson.net
Sun Oct 19 04:24:40 CEST 2008

At 05:29 AM Saturday, 10/18/2008, you wrote -=>
>Jeff Chan wrote:
> > Hi All,
> > SURBL is looking for statistics about what portion of unsolicited our
> > lists are detecting (ideally in large mail flows).  An overall number
> > would be ideal, as in what fraction of total unsolicited messages are
> > caught by any SURBL list.  One possible way to measure this from
> > SpamAssassin-processed messages would be to count the messages marked
> > as spam that had 'SURBL' in their scores versus the ones that didn't
> > have a SURBL rule hit.  The ratio would be the spams with SURBL hits
> > divided by total number of spams.
> >
> > Another way would be to count the SURBL hits from an MTA milter, but
> > to have the meaningful denominator, one would need a count of the
> > total spams, which a simple SURBL-only milter would not be able to
> > provide.  Something else, or a more sophisticated milter would need to
> > count the total spams in order to get the denominator.
> >
> > Ideally the results would be after MTA blocking with a major sender
> > blacklist like zen.spamhaus.org.  Please let us know whether a sender
> > blacklist is used in the MTA or not.
> >
> > Any results would be greatly appreciated.
> >

>Hi,
>
>  From about a weeks worth of data with the MTA blocking using 3 sender
>blacklists. There are 2 separate MXs with 2 spamd machines in round robin.
>
>[spa010 spamd]# grep "identified spam" * | wc -l  - Spam
>57993
>[spa010 spamd]# grep SURBL * | wc -l  - SURBL hits
>43077
>[spa010 spamd]#  grep bytes * | wc -l  - Total Messages
>180763

Hello,

FWIW, we run a small server with only a few users and low traffic but I grep'd
a couple of weeks worth of logs. One MX, one machine, with MTA blocking using
3 blacklists, access.db and Sendmail RDNS.  I actually wind up
blocking more at the MTA
using RDNS than ever before.

[yoda spamd]# grep "identified spam" /var/log/maillog* | wc -l  -Spam 5562
[yoda spamd]# grep SURBL /var/log/maillog* | wc -l 3581 - SURBL Hits
[yoda spamd]# grep bytes /var/log/maillog* | wc -l 22139 - Total Messages

HTH,

Ed

Randomly Generated Quote (378 of 1466):
According to my best recollection, I don't remember.
- Vincent "Jimmy Blue Eyes" Alo