[SURBL-Discuss] Stats wanted

Paul Shields paul.shields at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Oct 19 13:00:29 CEST 2008

On 18 Oct 2008, at 08:29, Jeff Chan wrote:

> Hi All,
> SURBL is looking for statistics about what portion of unsolicited our
> lists are detecting (ideally in large mail flows).  An overall number
> would be ideal, as in what fraction of total unsolicited messages are
> caught by any SURBL list.  One possible way to measure this from
> SpamAssassin-processed messages would be to count the messages marked
> as spam that had 'SURBL' in their scores versus the ones that didn't
> have a SURBL rule hit.  The ratio would be the spams with SURBL hits
> divided by total number of spams.
>
> Another way would be to count the SURBL hits from an MTA milter, but
> to have the meaningful denominator, one would need a count of the
> total spams, which a simple SURBL-only milter would not be able to
> provide.  Something else, or a more sophisticated milter would need to
> count the total spams in order to get the denominator.
>
> Ideally the results would be after MTA blocking with a major sender
> blacklist like zen.spamhaus.org.  Please let us know whether a sender
> blacklist is used in the MTA or not.
>
> Any results would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Cheers,

Jeff

Here are some stats from our platform for the last 24 hours. If you're
interested in a longer sample range then let me know and I can set
something up.

We use Spamhaus at the MTA to reject at SMTP time. This usually
removes approximately 25 to 50% of inbound messages before they get
through to the SpamAssassin layer.

  "Identified spam":  3,115,493

Messages that had a "SURBL" hit:  2,381,824

Messages processed: 6,052,806

Regards

Paul