[SURBL-Discuss] Integrating twi.bz URL shortener and SURBL

Jeff Chan jeffc at surbl.org
Wed Apr 15 14:12:18 CEST 2009

On 4/15/09, John Graham-Cumming <jgc at jgc.org> wrote:
> Folks,
>
>  You've probably not heard of my URL shortener service http://twi.bz/ because
>  it is very new, but I wanted to appeal to the SURBL folks to accept
>  twi.bzdomain names within the SURBL lists.
>  twi.bz is differently from the standard URL shorteners in that it includes
>  the domain name of the destination site in the twi.bz domain name.
>
>  For example, a twi.bz link to amazon.com would be in the form:
>  amazon.twi.bz/XYZ.  A twi.bz link to amazon.ca would be in the form
>  amazon.ca.twi.bz/XYZ and a twi.bz link to amazon.co.uk would be in the form
>  amazon.co.uk.twi.bz/XYZ.  For .com domains I strip the .com for all the rest
>  I leave the TLD in place.  Since this is in the domain name it should be
>  easy for them to appear in the SURBL list.

Hi John,
If you're asking SURBL applications to process twi.bz at the third
level, that's probably not going to happen.  Only official second
level cctlds like co.uk are handled that way.

If you're asking SURBL to blacklist your domains at the third and
higher levels, we're not going to do that either.  Please see:

  http://www.surbl.org/implementation.html

SpamAssassin checks all visible domains in a URI like:

  http://www.shorterner.com/domain1.com/domain2.com

but it won't check subdomains as you've specified above.

>  On my side I'll be using SURBL multi on domains submitted to the service to
>  check for spam.

Good move.  Please see our "Open Letter To Operators Of Redirection Sites":

  http://www.surbl.org/redirect.html

>  I'm hoping that the visibility in twi.bz domains, they're
>  ability to appear in SURBL and my checking of SURBL links will make
>  twi.bzunattractive for spammers.
>
>  John.

If you disallow SURBLed domains form using the service, then you will
probably stop much of the abuse.

Cheers,