[SURBL-Discuss] Mailing list gets bounces from my mail providerbecause of surbl

Daniel Dickinson cshore at brucetelecom.com
Thu Apr 16 03:49:00 CEST 2009

On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 21:29:18 -0400
"Kevin A. McGrail" <kmcgrail at pccc.com> wrote:

> Not speaking on behalf of SURBL but using SURBL to block email is not
> a recommended usage. From http://www.surbl.org/
>
> "direct blocking at the MTA level is not recommended. It's generally
> better to use SURBLs along with multiple, weighted factors, as
> SpamAssasssin does."

Hmmm...interesting

> However, additionally, why are so many messages to the debian mailing
> list hitting surbl domains?  Even the anti-spam mailing lists don't
> have this problem that much.  If you are discussing questionable
> domains use <domain>-munge.com for example.

I think they just have a low threshold for bounces.  One or two bounces
enough for the kick-score (percentage of bounced emails) to start
getting towards the threshold for unsubscription.

--
And that's my crabbing done for the day.  Got it out of the way early,
strangle cute bunnies or something.   -- Michael Devore