[SURBL-Discuss] Mailing list gets bounces from my mail providerbecause of surbl

Kevin Olson kevino at mxtools.com
Thu Apr 16 17:37:14 CEST 2009

> -----Original Message-----
> From: discuss-bounces at lists.surbl.org
> [mailto:discuss-bounces at lists.surbl.org] On Behalf Of Daniel Dickinson
> Sent: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 7:51 PM
> To: discuss at lists.surbl.org
> mail providerbecause of surbl
>
> Hi,
>
> My ISP (www.bmts.com - Bruce Telecom, reachable at
> tech at brucetelecom.com) uses surbl to detect and block SPAM,

Actually, they use Google's Postini, which uses SURBL.

> My ISP tells me to contact you to get the offending site
> removed, however I don't object to the site blacklisted, but
> to the listz.debian.org mail bouncing.  I asked them to
> whitelist it but they just reiterated that I had to contact you.

In your Postini control panel, you can add the debian list to your
approved sender list.  This will bypass spam filters.
http://www.postini.com/help/
Your Bruce Telecom email administrator has done this for you.

> I think they are wrong and not understand.  Could someone
> kindly beat the over the head with instruction on how to
> whitelist listz.debian.org so that it is not blocked even if
> a surbl blacklisted URL is in the mail?

Now that the debian list is whitelisted for your account, no head
beatings are necessary.

- Kevin

PS - Jeff or other SURBL devs, if you want the offending email headers,
etc., let me know.  It looks like it was Postini that blocked a message,
based on a SURBL listing for medlistsources<munged>.com.  Perhaps we
need to get ahold of Google re: blocking policy?