[SURBL-Discuss] Other SURBL lists then from surbl.org?

jkinz at kinz.org jkinz at kinz.org
Thu Aug 20 15:02:48 CEST 2009

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 07:33:45AM -0400, Eric McClatchie wrote:
> I am having emails ending up not delivered whenever a certain domain URL
> is in the email. When I check surbl.org lists, the domain is NOT
> blacklisted. What other lists should I be looking at?
>
> I also notice when subscribing to this list, the approval email went to
> spam on gmail!

Thats sounds like the idiots at GoDaddy.  They mis-use some
of the lists and end up blocking emails if the emails contain
text that points to domains that reside inside certain IP blocks,
even though the domains have never sent spam.

Are any of these email passing through smtp.secureserver.net?
(or any other GoDaddy servers)

List of complaints about this prob is here:
http://www.google.com/search?q=godaddy+blocking+emails&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

They've had this pointed out to them thousands of times.
They wont fix it.

If you aren't actually spamming, Tell whomever you are trying to send
that email to, that their email provider is blocking legitimate
email, that they do it all the time, and that they won't change,
Their only choice is to find another email provider.

I'm not certain, but I think the list they are misusing is
from the service at http://www.us.sorbs.net/ .

That service is supposed to be used for blocking mail
delivery connections from dynamic IP's. GoDaddy uses it to block
email that simply contain text which references any IP or
Damian in those ranges, as well as a host of other things.

see http://www.us.sorbs.net/faq/dul.shtml

If you know anyone in Net admin at GoDaddy, encourage them
to fix the problem, eg start using the various lists
properly.  Also encourage everyone you know to not use
any GoDaddy products/services.