[SURBL-Discuss] Notification of Blacklist Status

Petros Kolyvas pk at shiftfocus.ca
Thu Jul 2 16:26:24 CEST 2009

Dear All,

I was notified today via an error message from a mail server that a
domain/URL in the e-mail was on a blacklist somewhere. I took the time
to check and sure enough our own domain is on that list with the note
PH.

The problem is that our domain is hosted on a shared web host from
what I believe to be a fairly reputable web host here in Montreal
(iWeb.com.) We have no ability to control or monitor the servers at a
level that would allow us to work on, modify, patch, or make any low-
level changes that requested in the "Removal Request."

More importantly is why a domain isn't notified upon being
blacklisted? (Via the info at ... or abuse at .... mailboxes) I can
understand the need for immediately blacklisting troublesome domains;
with that I have no qualms. However it seems that, in the hope of
weeding out false positives like our own, at least a note that the
domain is being added to the blacklist would help in some kind of
active response - instead of the reactive one where we start receiving
cryptic messages from clients' servers indicating something is amiss.

That being said, thanks for all your hard work to keep this giant and
messy infrastructure as clean as humanly possible.

Be well,
Petros Kolyvas

--
ShiftFocus Media