[SURBL-Discuss] Notification of Blacklist Status

Petros Kolyvas pk at shiftfocus.ca
Fri Jul 3 07:14:38 CEST 2009

Thanks for the reply.

I would, however retort that if the contact info is faulty, and a
message simply isn't delivered (hopefully you'll get a notification of
an invalid address,) this could count as a further strike against a
domain.

However, if the contact information is good, and a message is properly
received, it does help speed along the process. We keep both info at shiftfocus.ca
  and abuse at shiftfocus.ca so that we can be notified of any trouble.
The hope was that we might know about the trouble and take action
before something like this occurs.

For example, until today we didn't know we were somehow (and
mistakenly) on a blacklist. How long were we on the blacklist? It
would certainly explain some odd behaviour of sent messages over the
last couple of months.

Having completed another "lookup," no additional information is
offered. We can't face our accuser so to speak or see how, why or when
we were added in any detail.

Back to my original point, it seems to me the overhead for the simple
e-mail notification would be quite low and the net effect would be
some increased feeling of goodwill from those who might suffer from
false positives. The increased level of openness could only help
further the cause.

I am not saying this to criticise the effort, far from it. I still
applaud the gargantuan and nearly impossible effort of keeping the
streets "clean." At the same time, as an outsider who is suffering a
little from the cleaning, these are my thoughts. They remain opinion
and should be considered such.

I do wish you all the best,
Petros Kolyvas

--