[SURBL-Discuss] SURBL reports on short links that don't exist or aren't blacklisted

Sam Rudge samarudge at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 09:39:23 CEST 2011

I meant if the redirector returned a 404, I.E. the short link doesn't exist.
And we do provide an API but I assume I would have to set up something
special for this. Are there any guidelines to doing this?
-Sam

On 4 Aug 2011 08:30, "Raymond Dijkxhoorn" <raymond at prolocation.net> wrote:

Hi!

> So from my POV as operator of the link shortener, so long as I keep an
> eye on things and make ...
SURBL does check the links before sending.

A good thing would be to provide a API 'like the big redirectors alleady
do' where we can check things on.

BIT.LY for example has a API we use for checking if a link is available or
not.

> Not sure if this is material to this discussion or not. This morning,
> we got some spam with UR...
Exactly. A 404 doesnt tell much. In fact. To make this more specific.
There are botnets that give a 404 or alike codes if you are outside the
US. So they can target specific audience. Those codes cant be really
trusted in cases like this.

Remember, if you get reports of abuse, in 99.9% of the times there is
something going on. You can ignore them and think you are ok. Most of the
times thats whishfull thinking however.

Bye,
Raymond.