[SURBL-Discuss] one-time access to rbldnsd/rpz data for testing

Brent Bice bbice at sgi.com
Tue Jun 18 00:24:26 CEST 2013

    Hey guys. I was just looking over the service (sounds promising) but
before I start using an RBL (or similar service), especially one we have
to pay for access to, I always run some tests first. In this case, I'd
take a few months worth of DNS query logs and run that through a perl
script to see which hostnames would be caught by the RPZ.

    Obviously, I'd only do this if I had the data mirrored locally so
I'm not beating up on anyone else's DNS servers. :-)

    So... Is there a way I can get one-time access to the RPZ and
rbldnsd formatted data just so I can run some sanity checks?  If I can
quantify the number of URLs the users here queried for that the RPZ
would otherwise have blocked (we run our own in-house RPZ too), I could
then do a cost/benefit analysis for the folks who pay the bills,
assuming it was catching stuff our own RPZ isn't.

    Possible?  I'd only run it on one, non-production DNS server here
for testing and would toss the data when I was finished, unless we
decided to use it in production and pay for access...

Brent