[SURBL-Discuss] false positives with common DNS

Joe Wein joewein at pobox.com
Mon Apr 17 05:05:09 CEST 2017

> Hello there,
>
> On Tue 11th Apr some of our company's domains got put on the SURBL "abuse"
> list and one of the domains got suspended by the registry due to a report
> by SURBL. I'm not aware of any abuse or problems on those domains and the
> only common nominator is that they all use the same DNS service, e.g.
>
> anfe.ma -> listed on "abuse"
> anfema.com -> same purpose as anfe.ma, not listed (and using a different
> DNS)
> lokato.online -> suspended, though completely unused (just an NS record,
> nothing else)
>
> Can anybody explain what went wrong here?

Gordon,

These listings (#1, #3) were indeed false positives. We aim for near zero
false positives, but mistakes do happen :-(

The cause was a data error which we corrected as soon as we detected it.

Feel free to forward this acknowledgement from our side to the registrar to
help get the suspended domain unsuspended.

Joe Wein
SURBL